by Deb Del Valle
The Belvedere was one of the first luxury apartment buildings built in Cincinnati. This Second Renaissance Revival high rise was constructed in North Avondale in 1926. The building was marketed to affluent residents, and the accommodations included separate servants’ quarters. The Belvedere was converted into condominiums in the 1980s.
The lobby features an elaborate plaster ceiling, incorporating beautiful oil paintings on canvas by Herman Wessel, a noted Cincinnati artist; inlaid marble floors, large solid brass mailboxes and walnut trim. Many of these details have been lovingly preserved. Amenities originally included a first-floor restaurant, now utilized as a workout space and community room. A rooftop garden is still enjoyed by residents and their guests to this day.
In 2016, CPA presented an award for the restoration of the Belvedere’s lobby, which was executed by Kris Lemmon of Deco Works Studio.