The elegant, stone-fronted Hauck townhouse on Dayton Street’s “Millionaire’s Row,” was built circa 1870 for coal dealer John Skaats. The house was then purchased in the 1880s by beer baron John Hauck, whose brewery was located a block away. The sumptuous Victorian interior is filled with exquisite murals, wood trim and plasterwork.
in 1968 CPA housed its first offices on the second floor and housed a museum on the first floor. CPA repurchased the property in 2008 and now uses the house for programs and workshops, utilizing the ongoing restoration as a case study. Rental income from the carriage house helps support the house and Cincinnati Preservation Association’s mission.
In 2023, CPA will once again be calling the John Hauck House home. CPA offices will be housed on second floor and the first floor will be a “Preservation Homebase” with preservation research resources and a small meeting space. Work will also begin on converting the first floor of the carriage house into a large meeting conference room that will be the home of our Practical Preservation Workshops.