Quality of Life
Historic buildings grant character to communities. As the tangible link to our unique history and culture, they are irreplaceable.
Historic preservation is critical to economic development:
- Creating more jobs (10 – 20% more) than new construction*
- Attracting other development, particularly small businesses which provide 85% of new jobs*
- Improving business recruiting efforts by offering unique, attractive environments*
- Encouraging cultural heritage tourism, which accounts for 50% of overall tourism*
* Donovan D. Rypkema, The Economics of Historic Preservation (National Trust for Historic Preservation, 1994)